Agenda of Events for the 250th Anniversary of St. Paul Lutheran Church 2011
I welcome all of you to the Kick Off of our 250th Anniversary Celebration. I invite you to join in a journey with me to retrace our steps as a congregation and as a community for this momentous occasion. St. Paul was the first and oldest Lutheran Church in Newberry County. It was organized before the American Revolution. Each month we will bring a little of this celebration into our lives and with everyone’s help and support make this a successful year. We have are putting the monthly agenda in the newsletter for February and copies of the flyers will be available in the front of the church. We are looking forward to having many visitors and return of old members to enjoy the many events planed for the coming months.
Many Anniversary items will be available for purchase and look to your newsletters bulletins for availability and cost of each. We will display samples for all to see as they come available. There will be a printing of a 250th Anniversary History Book. We are taking orders now.
I would like to be able to offer a 250th Anniversary Memory Book. This is your collection of family memories placed on pages to represent your family. Pictures placed on a page can be wedding photos, baby pictures, anniversary, and any home pictures you would like to include and share. Make sure you put names and dates on the pictures so we may include this information if possible. There will be a sample at the front of the church for all to see in February how I am doing my family if we have enough participation to do the photo album.
As a congregation we will be presenting a church play in September. We have many parts and a sign up list will be available at the front of the church for speaking and non speaking parts. We are asking all church members to see if you have costumes you are willing to allow others to use for the play or if you would help make a costume for the play. Everyone I have talked with have been excited about being a part of the play whether behind the scenes or in the play itself. My phone is always on and look forward to hearing from all of you.
Debbie Werts, Anniversary and History Chairman
January – Spotlight – Pastor Ricard and family
- Show a tape of “Logs to Granite”. 3rd Sunday in January.
- Children’s Sunday School Project: Indian Vest and Singing This Little Light of Mine
February – Spotlight on Carold Wicker and Judy Wicker and First Fulltime Pastor of St. Paul Joachim Bulow.
- Log Cabin Banner of Kibler’s Church carried into the Sanctuary.
- 1-2 min. skit by Carold Wicker about the banner
- Children Sunday School Project – make Log Cabins using foam blocks.
March – Spotlight – on a member of the church and Rev. Keisler – He dedicated the granite church on March 20, 1938. Note – Granite church first service was held on March 19, 1937.
- Short skit of St. Paul during the Revolutionary War.
- Children Sunday School Project – Clay candle holders
April – Spotlight on a member
- No skits during Easter
- Time Capsule Displayed ready to be filled
May – Spotlight – Paul Shealy and family and other members (Graduations)
- Memorial Day – Honor any armed serviceman with pin or poppy
- Memorial Day Weekend – Special handout on all men or women who served in the armed forces belonging to the church or church families.
- Children Sunday School Project – paper flowers or poppies
- Third Sunday in May – Covered dish picnic luncheon
June -Spotlight – Frederick Wallern and Mr. John Coltrane
- Old Timey Sunday – Members dress in period costumes from 1750-1990’s men sit on the left and the women on the right side of the church.
- Children Sunday School Project – bead crosses or other activities
- Mr. Coltrain play his music
July – Spotlight – Pastor Dowd – will also preach
- Barbershop quartet of American and early church music
- Barbeque picnic – Carold Wicker and Paul Werts
August – Spotlight -Reverend Jefferson A. Sligh and church member
- Skit by Rev. Sligh and special music
- Practices for the church play
September – Spotlight Member Yost Metts and member of congregation
- St Paul Historical Play by the congregation
- (Practices for Play)
October – Spotlight Bishop Yoost –Preaching Homecoming Service.
- Parade of daughter churches displaying their banners.
- Homecoming Meal
November – Spotlight – Pastor Crout – will also preach
- 10-15 min Slide Presentation
- Committal of the Time Capsule
December – Spotlight – Pastor Nichols and family
Christmas and the Celebration of the Birth of Jesus