Organized in 1761, our church is one of the oldest, if not the oldest, continuing Lutheran congregations in Newberry County. The land on which the church stands was an original land grant of sixty-eight acres from King George III of England.
Rev. Joachim Bulow is thought to have been the organizing pastor. He is reported to have been sent by the Elect of Wurtemburg to aid in the establishment of the Lutheran Church in the Carolinas sometime during the middle of the 18th century.
The Rev. J.A. Sligh, DD served as pastor for forty-six years (1865-1911). He served for the longest period and helped organize five neighboring congregations: Colony Lutheran Church, Mt. Tabor Lutheran Church, Bachman Chapel Lutheran Church, Mt. Pilgrim Lutheran Church, and Grace Lutheran Church.
St. Paul has had four church buildings. Members first worshiped in a log building for about twenty-five years until it was destroyed by fire. The current granite sanctuary is the fourth building and it was dedicated in 1941. The parish building was added in 1956.
The current cemetery was started in 1865. A number of former pastors are buried there.